Rum Balls

Rum Balls rolled in sugar

Rum balls were always a favourite of mine as a kid. I’d see them sitting on the cookie tray after dinner, rolled in sugar or red, white, and green sprinkles and I’d start plotting how many I could get away with eating. They were just so damn easy to pop in my mouth.

Last year my grandparents were in Florida for the holidays. Yes, this is another of Nana’s recipes, lol. I was scouring the internet looking for a recipe like hers, because I wasn’t sure she’d have it with her down south. Thankfully, my Mom had it for me, but I learned something in all that googling.Rum balls mean a lot of different things, to a lot of different people.

Rum Balls?

Rum Balls rolled in sugar

I know, you’re thinking “why the question mark?”. Honestly, because I don’t know. I don’t know if these are typical rum balls or not. Some people seem to think that truffles with rum in them are rum balls. Other people think it’s a rum ball if there are crushed up arrowroot cookies in it. These ones are neither of those, but they do have oats in them. So, rum balls?

This is my issue. What the hell makes a rum ball a rum ball? Wait, I got it. I’m an idiot. It’s the rum. I’ve got to stop trying to think before five in the morning.

Rum Balls rolled in sugar

To alcohol, or not to alcohol

As a kid, I wasn’t going to let the slight taste of rum (which I hated), stop me from eating the rum balls. I mean, a kids priority is sugar above all else. At least mine was. That said, the years when there wasn’t AS MUCH rum in them, I absolutely demolished the tin. Also, maybe not a good thing.

Rum Balls rolled in sugar

I get it though. I get that you may not like the flavour of rum, you may not drink (or eat) alcohol, you may want to make a batch that is kid friendly, you may like the idea of boozy balls, but hate the taste of rum. The good thing is, there are options. There are so many options.

Rum balls without the rum

Let me break this down into boozy balls, and non-boozy balls. If you’re into the whole boozy balls on your holiday dessert tray, but don’t love rum, I’ve got tons of other options for you:

  • bourbon
  • whiskey
  • baileys
  • baileys plus a dash of mint extract = mind blown
  • kahlua
  • malibu rum for an island twist
Rum Balls rolled in sugar

If you’re looking for a non-alcoholic version of rum balls, I’ve got you covered here too.

  • If you like the rum flavour, but not the alcohol, you can use 1 – 2 teaspoons of rum extract (to your flavour taste) with water added to make up the 1/2 cup of missing rum.
  • orange juice is my go-to substitute, which the kids love
  • apple juice
  • room temperature, weak brewed coffee
  • peppermint extract with water, or a peppermint coffee creamer are also fun additions if you want the mint baileys experience without the booze

Other Classic Holiday Treats

I am having an absolute blast pulling together my favourite, must make holiday treats this year. I hate that it’s taken me so long to do this. Here are two other Christmas cookie recipes I make every year.

These soft and chewy ginger cookies are a staple of our Christmas cookie lineup. A soft, chewy center with crisp, caramelized edges and so flavourful! Plus, cookie stamps make them look so pretty with next to no effort!

Soft chewy ginger cookies

Nana’s cookie press shortbread cookies are sweet, buttery, and just melt in your mouth. They are so insanely easy to make too! You’ll absolutely love them!

cookie press shortbread cookies

Rum Balls Recipe

Rum Balls rolled in sugar

Here’s the recipe for the rum balls for you. These will keep for two weeks in the fridge, but you can make them ahead and store them in the freezer for up to two months! Let me know what flavour add-in you use when you make them. If you have other alcoholic or non-alcoholic flavour suggestions I’d love to hear those too. That way I can add them to my list up above for other people to try!

Rum Balls

Yield:
24 – 36 depending on size

Prep Time:
20 minutes

Total Time:
20 minutes

Rum balls are a super simple, no bake holiday treat you probably have everything for in your kitchen already. You don’t have to use rum either, I’ve got tons of flavour options in the notes, including non-alcoholic ones!

Ingredients

  • 250g oats (I use quick oats, but rolled oats work too, use what you have on hand)
  • 150g butter, softened to room temperature
  • 150g icing sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup rum (just use your favourite, Nana used light). See notes for other options.
  • Granulated sugar, sprinkles, etc. for rolling the finished balls in.

Instructions

  1. Put the oats, butter, icing sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, and rum into a medium bowl and mix until blended. You can do this with your hands if you want, but I used a hand mixer.
  2. Roll into small balls. You can use an extra small cookie scoop if you have one to save some time.
  3. Roll the balls into granulated sugar, sprinkles, or anything else you would like to finish them off.
  4. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. They will keep in the fridge for two weeks, but you can also make them ahead and store in the freezer for up to 2 months!

Notes

Alcoholic Flavour Options

  • bourbon
  • whiskey
  • baileys
  • baileys plus a dash of mint extract = mind blown
  • kahlua
  • malibu rum for an island twist

Non-Alcoholic Flavour Options

  • If you like the rum flavour, but not the alcohol, you can use 1 to 2 teaspoons of rum extract (to your taste) with water added to make up the 1/2 cup of missing rum.
  • orange juice is my go-to substitute which the kids love
  • apple juice
  • room temperature, weak brewed coffee
  • peppermint extract with water, or a peppermint coffee creamer are also fun additions if you want the mint baileys experience without the booze

Rum Balls Pinnable Image
Rum Balls Pinnable Image
Rum Balls Pinnable Image
https://info24.news/testim/rum-balls/